Friday, November 13, 2009

The Oncologist

Greetings All,

On Wednesday the 11th I had my first appointment with the Cancer Oncologist. I had written a list of all the questions I had, making my wife (aka Queen of Lists) very proud. I was feeling pretty prepared and somewhat looking forward to what he had to say because I know I'll be much better knowing "the plan".

The oncologist was very good at sitting down and explaining as much as we wanted to know. He answered most of my questions before I even had a chance to ask. I felt like he was taking his time and he had been doing this for a while so I'm comfortable with following through with my treatment plan with him and at this hospital, which was also important to me.

So, to the important part, "the plan". He went over my CT scan and explained the different stages of Hodgkins and how they would determine what stage I'm in. Stage 1 is if the tumor is the only cancer present. Stage 2 is if in addition to the tumor any cancer has spread to my lymph nodes or any other area in my chest. Stage 3 is if it has spread from my chest to any other area below the diaphragm. Stage 4 is if it has entered my bone marrow. To determine the staging I am going to have a bone marrow sample analyzed and a PET scan, both next Thursday the 19th. A PET scan is a lot like a CT scan only the stuff they make you drink highlights only cancer cells so when they scan the whole body they can spot any other places it might have spread. I also have an EKG scheduled for next Thursday because one of the side effects of the Chemo drugs the may use can be heart damage and the want to test ahead of time.

If my Hodgkins is either stage 1 or 2, which right now seems likely because there did not seem to be any swelling in any of my lymph nodes that they can check by feel, then I would go through a 4-6 month regimen of Chemo with Radiation at the end. They would use a 4 drug combination called ABVD, the initials stand for the first letter of each of the drugs involved, every 2 weeks by IV. So if 4 months kills it all I'll have 8 total Chemo treatments. 2 months in they would do another PET scan to see if the Chemo is doing its job. As the oncologist put it, the success rate with this treatment has been so high that the treatment plan really hasn't changed that much in years. It's the old if it ain't broke don't fix it deal. If it is stage 3 or 4 the treatment plan would change and he didn't really get into specifics of what that would look like, so we'll try to avoid 3 or 4.

I was told that 2-3 weeks after my first Chemo treatment that my hair would fall out. Oddly enough this seems to be the #1 question from people who know my situation right now. My boss seems to think that this is some traumatic event for me and that I'm extremely vain about my hair. Honestly, I could care less. I've been hoping to get rid of this hair on my back for years (OOO, that's too much information). I don't mind not having hair but what's a little weird to think about?  No eyebrows, then I think I'll look a little like an alien. Anyway, 4-6 weeks after my last treatment he said my hair would start growing back so no big deal. Speaking of too much information, we were also given some information on options for our reproductive future. Chemo kills cells.....you figure it out this is a family post!

After my tests next Thursday I meet again with my oncologist December 2nd. At that point they will be able to stage me and really put together the official treatment plan and when I'll start. I still don't feel like a cancer patient. I don't think I will until I have my first Chemo session. I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement I've received in posts and other ways so far. It's meaningful to me. So here's to only Stage 1 or 2!!

Peace,
Ben

7 comments:

  1. Bro,

    Your calm and patience is dumbfounding me. I love and miss you guys and have our church praying for all of you. Please, let me know what I can do. I'm going to be hunting a few days, but will be back on Tues. Let's talk more: waltfu@hotmail.com

    Walter

    PS-A copy of The Bondage of the Will sits on my nightstand because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird that I didn't ask about your hair first? I'm glad things are taking a positive turn in such a crap situation. We love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do seem very calm and positive... keep it up!! It feels weird cheering for any stage of cancer, but I am hoping that it is one for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you Ben this is crazy! Praying that you are only stage 1 and that the chemo isn't horrific.... On a good note I think you will look good bald and eyebrows are overrated, women are trying to pluck them so thin anyway. Hey you could get eyeliner and draw them on, a lady at my work does! (she must pluck hers out totally and then just draws on new ones) Anyway all joking aside, we love you guys so much and it saddens me to see you guys having one struggle after another.... We pray for peace during this time of turmoil and for a Godly perspective of the big picture. Please call me for anything you will need... We are always here for you!

    Love you so very much!
    Nick and Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping (and praying) for Stage 1!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hair, schmair! I'm hoping that you are at Stage 1, Ben. And I hope the chemo isn't awful. You have an awesome attitude about this, and you're going to kick butt. So glad the oncologist is good and answered all your Q's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you ARE going to kick it's butt. you and kim have been through so much. my gosh! hang in there!

    ReplyDelete