Sunday, January 10, 2010

Port Placements and Birthday Wishes

Greetings All,

I first want to say a very Happy Birthday to my lovely wife. Today she is ........ years old. With my treatments she deserves more than I am giving her today and that's not right, but a lot about treatment is not right.

On Wednesday I had treatment #3 and had a port put in before the treatment. The process was pretty simple, lay on a table and let them slide a cyborg-like device under my skin. Piece of cake. They make a very small incision at the base of my neck to slide a tube into one of my blood vessels. Then they make another cut above my right breast and put the port in and connect the two together. Now I have a shaved chest and two large bandaged areas that I have to keep dry for 2 weeks. It's a pain to tape plastic wrap over it to shower, but not showering is not really an option. So now they can just put the IV connection right into the port for the rest of my treatments.

I managed to go to work both Thursday and Friday. I am feeling some pressure to not miss a lot of days going forward, which makes me feel a little angry but when it comes down to it my employer has really been there and supported me more than most employers would. To be honest, I think it might help me to try and push myself a little. It keeps my mind off how I'm feeling and that's a good thing. Yesterday, however, I kind of crashed and spent most of the day napping. I am feeling a little better this morning, not as tired, but my stomach is still doing loops and probably will for most of today. But I am going to get up and shower and leave the house today in an effort to be more human.

Sorry for rambling on, I have no coherent thoughts today. I hope all of you are well and it is at least warmer than 3 degrees where some of you are (that was the actual temp when I woke up this morning).

Happy Birthday my love,
Ben

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Kim! Thinking of you all. ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated bday to Kim! Still remembering you guys in my prayers and thinking about you often! Love you Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday, Kim!! Ben, just think on Kim's next birthday you will be healthy, happy and cancer free.... Then you can celebrate the right way. Your entire family remains in my thoughts and prayers.
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim has the most precious birthday ever, her family that loves her Ben Gabe and Ellie grandparents,uncles,aunts and friends. I know we can beat this.Lov you ALL Mom

    ReplyDelete