Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Chemo Virgin

Greetings All,

First of all, let me say right of the bat that I am feeling good after my first treatment. As of now, no nausea or any other bad side effect.

With that said, today I had my first Chemotherapy treatment. We arrived about 10 minutes early for my 1:30 appointment but didn't get called back to the treatment area unit about 2pm. The weather here the last 2 days has been challenging with crazy high winds and snow so apparently a lot of the early appointments showed up late. So that gave me more time to be nervous!! Once I was called back, though, I really wasn't nervous at all. The treatment clinic is just down the hall from my Oncologist in the hospital. They have a huge area with some private rooms, some curtained off rooms, and then a large common area with recliners that probably seats about 20 (so hurry up, and bring your juke box money). Sorry, it just popped into my head when I wrote that and thought I'd get it stuck in yours. There's also a few restrooms and a small kitchen in which they have coffee, soda, water, and some snacks and treats other patients bring in. It's actually a very cool, pretty calm, and upbeat atmosphere.

The first half hour they put my IV in, and then gave me an anti-nausea drug and a steroid through the IV. Then they started on the actual Chemo drugs. I have a 4 drug cocktail and they are given 1 at a time. 2 of the drugs take about 15 minutes each, 1 drug takes about a half hour, and the last takes about an hour. So all in all treatments can take about 2-3 hours for me. This one was a little bit longer than 3 hours because of it being my first time there was more prep and what not. All the nurses I met, and especially the one that attended to me today, are fantastic. She gave me just a ton of information about everything she was doing, the drugs, some hints and tips, and besides all that she just was very warm, friendly, and caring. I would think you have to have a certain disposition anyway to work in Oncology and treat cancer patients all day. I know there are a lot of jobs like that and they deserve a lot more recognition than they get.

3 of the drugs are just like having an IV drip. You don't feel anything different at all. One of the things the nurses keep checking is that the IV stays firmly in the vein and that the vein stays open because almost all these Chemo drugs could cause serious permanent tissue damage if they get outside the vein into the surrounding tissue. Unfortunately, the drug that takes an hour does not feel like a normal IV. It causes vein irritation and soreness. When it goes in it burns a little but it also makes my whole forearm feel like the muscles are about to cramp up, but they never do. It's dull and constant pain until it's done. It's not overwhelming and definitely bearable but uncomfortable.

The only real side effects I'm having at the moment are a little bit of tiredness and I feel just a little shaky all over. The shakiness is most likely from the steroid, I can still feel that my heart rate is up a little. The steroid should keep me feeling pretty normal for the first 48 hours then I just have to watch for fatigue and if I start to feel nauseous. If I don't have any sort of set backs, I'd say today was a very positive day. I'm sure I'll have my rough times but everyone at the clinic strives to make sure the nausea stays away, and that was my biggest concern.

So, one down, seven more to go. Thanks everyone for the prayers and positive thoughts, I really appreciate all of you. I will of course continue to post how I'm feeling until my next treatment in 2 weeks.

Peace,
Ben

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Way to go Ben... so glad that you are on the road to recovery and that today was a positive one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I am so glad to hear you are feeling ok day 1. Will continue to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben, thanks for the update. Many, many prayers for you and, of course, for your family!!! Love, Aunt Lynne

    ReplyDelete